Teaching Reciprocity Agreements Between States

In 2016, a proposal was presented to Congress, modelled on the Third Way Report, to mix processes between states, while legislation has never gone anywhere. However, a provision has been inserted into the Every Student Succeeds Act, the federal K-12 Act, which allows states to use federal funds to increase the number of quality teachers and headteachers, in order to create an intergovernmental system of reciprocity, as provided by the Third Way. Reciprocal teacher licenses allow teachers with a teaching license in one state to obtain a license in another state, provided they comply with state requirements. Recipient agreements allow states to work through variations in licensing systems to coordinate license transfers and fill vacancies with qualified candidates. Most countries have a policy to expand reciprocity for some teachers, but few states offer full reciprocity to all licensed teachers from other countries. License relapse – the ability to exercise your vocation in one state on the basis of certification in another state – has different meanings for different occupations. For teachers, the reciprocity of the license does not mean that you can automatically transfer your existing certificate from one state to another and start teaching. Without careful consideration, it is not certain that other professions face many of the same bureaucratic snafus that appear to be teachers when alternating between states. In addition, there is no tangible evidence that reciprocity rules in other occupations have succeeded in improving mobility measures in the United States. Some legal systems consider themselves to be “total reciprocity” and have no additional requirements. However, many jurisdictions require additional requirements for educators in other states or jurisdictions. These are called Jurisdiction Specific Requirements (JSRs).

The educator may need to take JSRs such as course work, evaluations or teaching experience before obtaining a full professional certificate in a new state. JSRs can often depend on the long experience of the teacher. Answer: The NASDTEC Interstate Agreement is a set of agreements between different countries that recognize elements of the teacher licensing process from one state to another. For example, many countries evaluate all teacher tests you have taken for the licensing process of another state and may exclude you from additional tests if it turns out that these tests meet the requirements of the new state. It is important to understand that intergovernmental agreements are not “directly transferred” agreements. You must apply for a learning license based on your new status and have your registration information evaluated. If it turns out that your registration information meets the typical requirements of the new state, you will receive a new license. If this is not the case, you will be informed of the additional requirements.

The issue of the receptiveness of teacher`s license generally does not attract headlines or a lot of political commitment, but research findings, surveys and interviews suggest that teachers are often limited in their ability to move between states, often for few reasons and to the detriment of student outcomes. The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) was created to promote cooperation and communication between educators in different countries and facilitate mobility and interstate licensing. NASDTEC formed the Interstate Agreement to facilitate this movement. Since 2011, Iowa and Minnesota are the only states not to participate in the Interstate Agreement. A person with a license or certification in one state can obtain a license in another state as long as both states participate in the agreement. Some countries have their own specific requirements that need to be met, such as extra course work, testing or teaching experience, but the agreement makes things much easier. The do way

Comments are closed.